Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wow...has it really been that long?

Has it really been 11 days since I posted?

Worst. Blogger. Ever.

To make up for it, I guess I'll have to post twice today, but first a few random thoughts:

-- My chalk comment was prophetic for the Derby despite the "fast" conditions. Street Sense was awesome as he closed where no other horse was able to.

-- I couldn't have been happier for Borel. I get so tired of hearing how great Johnny V and Gomez are when jocks like Borel keep getting taken off their mounts so the big guys can win the big races. I don't have a problem with the system that causes this to happen, I understand, I just want the guys like Borel to get their moments in the sun. I'm glad he did.

-- I STILL don't like Hard Spun.

-- If it weren't for a $20 stake in a Pick Six syndicate that hit (twice) I would be depositing back into BrisBet.

-- I am being ostracized all over my social circles for my constant bickering about Senate Bill 16 in the Ohio legislature. I am in good company mind you as I am on the same side of this bill as the "Dancers for Democracy." But my contention to anyone who will listen (and many who cover their ears) is that this has NOTHING to do with my desire to enjoy lapdances without driving to Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Although that desire exists. Often. This is about a LEGAL business being forced to succumb to unfair regulations which will cause that business to close. That goes against everything this country was founded on and is virtually identical to the issues we face as poker players. See, poker and strippers have more in common than just Shannon Elizabeth.


What? You expected Nadia? Too easy.

-- The Texas legislature failed to act on HB 3186 in time and subsequently it died an unceremonious fate. And for those unfamiliar with the backwards and maddening way that the Texas legislature governs (or doesn't) this means the bill is dead for two years as their legislature only meets that often. Nice job if you can get it. But my point here is that everyone complains about Bill Frist sneaking the UIGEA into the Port Security Bill. Now people are accusing of Texas Republicans from purposefully shelving this bill to keep from moving it as if it is an under-handed and immoral action. That's politics people. Those are the rules. All this does is underscore the importance of groups like the PPA and the importance of each of us doing our part to speak up to our elected officials. If there was a groundswell of support, those legislators wouldn't have pocketed this bill and ignored it. They couldn't. If the pro-active groundwork had been laid by online poker sites, instead of permanently lurking in the gutters of democracy, Sen. Frist couldn't have snuck his legislation past the other lawmakers. I urge everyone to join the PPA and get involved.

No comments: