Saturday, April 28, 2007

Follow-up

I’ve been thinking about my last post and I think I have a solution. Someone needs to write a book about online play. Not the online play of “BodogAri” or the infamous “Waffles.” But solid, perceptive online play and things like bankroll management, how to detect betting patterns, how to recognize the “squeeze play” and benefits of deep stack tournaments (tricks to avoid the inevitable suck-out). So many of these principles are crucial for the $1-$2 limit live games too...these games are just online ring games played in person, aren’t they? You’ll find people of all skill levels, hiding behind relative anonymity and completely clueless to bet and pot sizes. You find tells are virtually worthless, hand valuation is a lost art and “all-in” is as common as “fold.”

All of this makes complete sense. Where are these $1-$2 players coming from? Where did they learn the game? Super System? Nope. Sawdust-infested card halls in the Lone Star state? Nope. More likely Party Poker. Freerolls even. And yet, here we are reading everything we can from the best in the world. Soaking up every CardPlayer article on the intricacies of playing pocket pairs from middle position.

Know thy enemy, right? Now…where can we find a bad rounder with enough time on his hands to tell us all he doesn’t know? Hmmm…I just might know one.

1 comment:

TripJax said...

One of our very own bloggers, DoubleAs, wrote that book...

http://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Poker-Strategy-Tools-Improve/dp/1419634461/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2245182-2976855?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177964945&sr=8-1

Just wasnt sure if you knew about it or not, so I thought I would mention it.

BTW, I've added you to my list of daily reads...