Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Nostradamus-like Prophecy...

Self-knowledge is a scary thing. You never want to be blinded by your self-image so that you cannot adequately "Know Thy Self."

But sometimes knowing yourself too well can be even more painful.

Due to familial obligations, I was unable to grab a token for last night's MATH on Full Tilt. So thanks to my PLO winnings from the weekend, I went ahead and bought-in...something that physically pains me. I LOOOOOVVVEEEE to satellite. I won't break out into Dave Matthews here no matter how much I may want to.

I went into the tournament knowing full well it was going to be a disaster in some way shape or form. Mentally, I was not prepared to play. I was allowing my ego to get the best of me and even though it means NOTHING, I was playing for points in the Battle of the Bloggers.

That invariably leads to disaster. But I held my own through the first few levels, maintaining a relatively static chip count (as is my Modus Operandi). Sensed weakness in one button raise and re-raised with nothing...maxed out at around $3,600 chips. Made it through the first level and promptly tightened up more than A-Rod's A-Hole in the playoffs. I was getting blinded to death (as is my Modus Operandi) when I got KcQc in middle position. I had been playing rather tightly and when the action was folded to me, I raised 3.5xBB. All folded to Joe Speaker in the big blind. He had a healthy stack of chips and popped me. I thought for a minute, but as I had a small stack by this point, I figured he was trying to bully me...or if not, hopefully I had two live cards with straight and flush possibilities. I thought maybe a middle pocket pair...and pushed all-in.

He insta-called and flipped A-K. Doh.

The flop came A-J-x with two clubs. Straight possibilities, flush possibilities...TONS of outs. Soemone even said they smelled a suck-out. Alas...it was not to be. The ironic part of this sad, pathetic tale is the end of my blog posted yesterday. Scroll down. I'll wait.

"But these darned bloggers are too well-versed in the re-raise and my enormous ego is terrified I might have to lay down that KdQd or worse yet...call with it."

See it? Yeah...so I had the suit wrong. Kill me.

Gravedigger...when you dig my grave...won't you make it shallow. So that I can feel the rain?

Couldn't resist Dave that time around.

2 comments:

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Yeah man you gotta get used to laying down KQ for a raise before the flop if you want to really make it in this game. Although be warned: the bloggers will not this hand down against you, and they will suck out on your pocket pairs with it like it's going out of style.

Disgusting. Nice to play with you at the MATH though. See you next week.

Unknown said...

I laid down 4 pocket pairs and 3 hands I should have called (Ace shitty kicker) but I didn't like the odds.

Sometimes you have to lay down when you know wher you're beat. Or stay in when you know you're beat. Wait a min you did, never mind.

Keep coming back!
(Smile)
See you at the Mookie!